3.20.2006

What happened to our fantastic future?

First, never check out a DVD from the library if you are planning on actually watching it. If you need a shiny drink coaster, fine. If you want to watch it, don't bother. It will not play all the way through. At least that's been my experience.

Last night I almost experienced the film, 2001, in its entirety. I've never made it past the monkeys before last night, but with the help of my understanding boyfriend, we made it an hour in...before the library DVD became totally unwatchable due to skips and stalls. From what I understand (yes I could research, but I'm lazy) this film was made in 1968, and I'm guessing Kubrik was hoping that things in the year 2001 would actually be like the film. Wow. Not. Fucking. Close.

What ever happened to actually looking forward to the future? Nearly everyone I know is filled with a constant sense of dread and unease about what is going to happen next. Maybe it's just the current administration, but I don't think so. I think it's more likely the result of the demonization of the future in the popular culture. Where there is no more GLORIOUS FUTURE WORLD OF TOMORROW (GFWOT), regular folks don't have anything to look forward to or strive toward. From the space shows I've seen recently, there are no new inventions, no newer better developments, people don't treat eachother any better. Instead things are a complete polluted, distopic, rude, horrible, overpopulated hell on a dessicated earth. Now, if that's the only vision of the future you get to see, why the hell would you want to look forward to it?

Okay, well...that's about all I can say about that now. I have no more attention for tapping on this monkey board.

No comments: